Denver Green Roofing
The Denver Green Roof Ordinance goes into effect on January 1st, 2018. For certain roof construction from this point forward, 20%-60% of the roof will need to support green roofing. There are specifications for which types of roof construction will have to obey this ordinance.
- New buildings over 25,000 gross square feet
- Additions to buildings that push the gross square feet over 25,000
- Roof Replacements for existing buildings over 25,000 gross square feet
|Gross Floor Area (Size of Building in square feet)||Coverage of Available Roof Space (Size of Green Roof)|
|25,000 – 49,999 sf||20%|
|50,000 – 99,999 sf||30%|
|100,000 – 149,999 sf||40%|
|150,000 – 199,999 sf||50%|
|200,000 sf or greater||60%|
The City Council may make changes to these requirements in 2018 and when they do, we will update this page. For now, let’s discuss what exactly this means for Denver property managers and roofing companies like ourselves.
City Requirements For Owners And Contractors
For building owners, the city requires you to fill out a Green Roof Declaration Form. If you desire to request an exemption from the green roofing ordinance, you will need to make a Log in appointment with the city.
For roofing contractors, the city requires new permits for qualifying roof construction. The two Denver city permits required are for Lawn Irrigation and Green Roof installation.
These new permits help to ensure the vegetation is appropriate for Denver’s arid climate while creating a green roof that will last long after installation.
We are excited about this green roofing initiative. The benefits of using a green roof go beyond other roofing installations on several points.
- Roofing membrane life extends up to 3 times normal lifespan
- Much higher R-value for insulation.
- Upgraded energy efficiency
- Extra Leed Certification points
- Vegetation on the roof is more aesthetically pleasing
- Protection from hail damage
- Ability to produce food in an urban environment
Rest assured Modern Roof Co capabilities extend into green roofing. We are as detailed oriented in the specifications of this ordinance as we are in the work we do.
If you meet the qualifications for the Denver Green Roof Ordinance, contact us to discuss the next steps. We are available by phone as well at (720)722-3356.